110 Nalbandyan Str. 0001 Yerevan, Armenia
+37410 519-890

Tour operator in Armenia


  • Armenian version English version Russian version French version Italian version

Goshavank





All Images

Century of Foundation: XII Date of Foundation: 1191 Region: Tavoush Location: Gosh village Nor-Ghetik or Goshavank is an example of 12th-13th century architecture. It was founded by Mkhitar Gosh, a medieval Armenian ruler who was both a scholar and a politician. The earliest building is the Church of the Virgin (1191-1196). On the church’s western side is a large four-column gavit (1197-1203). The other church is St Gregory (1208-1241) near a small chapel named for St Gregory the Illuminator (1237) the portal and decorative arches of which exemplify the architect’s remarkable taste and décor. A 13th century book depository, its roof resting on criss-crossed arches, was later topped with a belfry (1291). A number of small chapels complete the site, surrounded by delicately carved khatchkars, works of the master Pavhos (13th century), one of which is displayed now in the State Museum of Armenian History.

Comments (0) Leave comment



Imega Tour and Travel © 2006-2017